Wednesday, April 27, 2011

April 27th, 2011 at the Congaree National Park

Seemed like a nice day for a relaxing paddle out at my favorite floodplain.

Well, the mosquitos are relentless this time of year.
I think they were eating the bug spray I was applying.
Luckily, there was a downpour that lasted about 10 minutes or so that knocked them out of the air temporarily.

I saw five feral pigs, three water snakes, two owls, a wild turkey and a few ducklings on this trip.

I made it downstream five miles from the Cedar Creek landing before I came across the tire and rim and decided to head back with the following haul:



That's my third tire and rim of 2011.

SYOTR!

4 comments:

  1. Gnome, Kudos on the tire & rim. That must have required some good balancing or hard towing to get back up the river.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for cleaning up central SC! I'm doing the same thing in western MD, so far on land. Please write about how you manage to pick up trash in a boat. Do you use an open canoe? I use a kayak, & with a spray skirt it would be too hard & not much room, & I'd be afraid of tipping it all over if I had a bucket on top. What's your technique?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe we can make an "arrangement". We won't canoe or kayak or leave our paddles in/on the streets and motorist won't drive or leave their tires on/in our waterways.

    Bernie
    www.litterwithastorytotell.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Discovered your blog through "Any Doorway"s site, and am thrilled to have found you! I'm also fighting it in my neck of the woods, southern Maine. (http://www.theflotsamdiaries.org). Keep up the awesome work!

    ReplyDelete